This document summarizes the versioning policy of Yii. In general, Yii follows the Semantic Versioning.
- Maintained on a branch named
- Mainly contain bug fixes and minor feature enhancements
- No major features.
- Must be 100% backward compatible to ensure worry-free upgrade. Only exception is security issues that may require breaking BC.
- Release cycle is around 1 to 2 months.
- No pre-releases (alpha, beta, RC) needed.
- Should be merged back to master branch constantly (at least once every week manually).
- Developed on master branch
- Mainly contain new features and bug fixes
- Contain minor features and bug fixes merged from patch releases
- May contain BC-breaking changes which are recorded in
- Release cycle is around 6 to 8 months
- Require pre-releases:
- Requires major news releases and marketing effort.
None in plan.